1. Adegbesan, O. A. (2010). Analysis of imagery use as predictors of football player sport confidence. World Journal of Sport Science, 3(1), 53-58.
2. Adekoya, A. F. (2014). Effect of psychological skills training intervention on exercise adherence among Tai Solarin University senior staff (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Lagos, Nigeria.
3. Adeyemo, K. A. (2016). Effect of mental skills training programme on motor performance of grassroot footballers in Lagos, Nigeria (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Lagos, Nigeria.
4. Adeyeye, F. M. (2006). Psychological skill intervention training for coaches and athletes in field setting. International Journal of Research and Contemporary Issues in Sports, 1, 38-48.
5. Adeyeye, F. M. (2001). Psychological factors in exercise adherence for optimal health. In P.B. Ikulayo (Ed) Book of Reading in Fitness and Health (pp 56-69). Lagos: Human Kinetics Publishers.
6. Adeyeye, F.M. (1996). The source and perceived effects of stress on performance of Nigeria elite footballers (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Lagos, Nigeria.
7. Adeyeye, F.M., & Adeyemo, K.A. (2015). Effect of mental skill training programme on motor performance of grassroot footballers in Lagos, Nigeria. African Journal of Vocational Education, 2(1), 23-39.
8. Adeyeye, F.M., & Adeyemo, K.A. (2013). Effects of mental skills training on the performance of table-tennis players of National Institute for Sports, Lagos. Journal of Research Methods in Education, 3(2), 22-27.
9. Adeyeye, F.M., & Adeyemo, K.A. (2012). Knowledge and perception of psychological principles among trainee coaches of national institute for sports, Lagos. Journal of Research Methods in Education, 3(2), 18-21.
10. Ajayi, M. A. & Iortima, C. (2003, October). Awareness and utilization of psychological services among athletes in some West African Universities. Paper presented at the Scientific Congress of the 8th All Africa Games (COJA), Abuja.
11. Amasiatu, A. N. (2002). The effect of goal setting on performance in selected sports skills among Nigeria adolescents (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Lagos, Nigeria.
12. Beilock, S. L., Afremow, J. A., Rabe, A. L., & Carr, T. H. (2001). ‘Don’t Miss!’ The debilitating effects of suppressive imagery on gulf putting performance. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 23(3), 200-221.
13. Bertollo, M., Saltarelli, B. & Robazza, C. (2009). Mental preparation strategies of elite modern pentathletes. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 10(2), 244-254.
14. Daftari, O., Fauzee, M. & Akban, A. (2010). Effects of self-talk on football players performance in official competitions. Researcher in Sport Science Quarterly, 1(1), 29-39.
15. Driskell, J. E., Copper, C. & Moran, A. (1994). Does mental practice enhance performance? Journal of Applied Psychology, 79 (4), 481-492.
16. Feltz, D. L. & Landers, D. M. (1983). The effects of mental practice on motor skill learning and performance: A meta-analysis. Journal of Sport Psychology, 5, 25-57.
17. FIFA. (2007a). FACT sheet. FIFA World Cup: TV viewing figures. Retrieved fromhttp://www.fifa.com/mm/document/fifafacts/misc-tele/52/01/27/fs-401_05a_fwc-tv-stats.pdf
18. FIFA. (2007c). MEDIA release. FIFA Big Count 2006: 270 million people active in football. Retrieved from http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/media/news/newsid=529882/index.html
19. Frey, M. M., Laguna, P. L. & Ravizza, K. K. (2003). Collegiate athletes’ mental skill use and perceptions of success: an exploration of the practice and competition settings. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 15(2), 115-128.
20. Gould, D., Tuffey, S., Udry, E. & Loehr, J. (1996). Burnout in competitive junior tennis players: A quantitative psychological assessment. The Sports Psychologist, 10, 322-340.
21. Gucciardi, D. F., Gordon, S. & Dimmock, J. A. (2009). Development and preliminary validation of a mental toughness inventory for Australian football. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 10(1), 201-209.
22. Guttman, A. (1993). The diffusion of sports and the problem of cultural imperialism. In E. Dunning, J.A. Maguire & R.E. Pearton (Eds.), The sports process: A comparative and developmental approach (p. 129). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
23. Ipinmoroti, O. A. (2009). Psychological preparation of athletes for the Olympic games. Journal of Sports Psychology Association of Nigeria, 5, 79-94.
24. Lazarus, R. S. (2000). How emotions influence performance in competitive sports. Sport Psychologist, 14(3), 229-252.
25. Mamassis, G. & Doganis, G. (2004). The effects of a mental training program on juniors precompetitive anxiety, self-confidence, and tennis performance. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 16, 118-137.
26. Mueller, F., Cantu, D. & VanCamp, S. (1996). Team sports. Catastrophic injuries in high school and college sports. Champaign IL: Human Kinetics.
27. Myers, N. D., Payment, C. A. & Feltz, D. L. (2004). Reciprocal relationships between collective efficacy and team performance in women’s ice hockey. Group Dynamics: Theory, Research, and Practice, 8(3), 182-195.
28. Owens, D., & Bunker, L. K. (1989). Golf: Steps to success. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
29. Orlick, T. & Partington, J. (1988). Mental links to excellence. Sport Psychologist, 2(2), 105-130.
30. Papacharisis, V., Goudas, M., Danish, S. J. & Theodorakis, Y. (2005). The effectiveness of teaching a life skills program in a sport context. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 17(3), 247-254.
31. Richard, S. & John, M. (2011). The use of imagery techniques to improve free kick accuracy in GAA footballers. The Irish Psychologist, 11, 165-181.
32. Scanlan, T. K., Stein, G. L. & Ravizza, K. (1989). An in-depth study of former elite figure skaters: II. Sources of enjoyment. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 11, 65-83.
33. Sullivan, P. A. (1993). Communication skills training for interactive sports. Sport Psychologist, 7(1), 79-91.
34. Thelwell, R. C., Greenlees, I. A. & Weston, N. (2006). Using psychological skills training to develop soccer performance. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 18, 254-270.
35. Thomas, H., Antonis, H. & Yannis, T. (2008). Self-talk in wheelchair basketball: The effects of an intervention programme on dribbling and passing performance. International Journal of Special Education, 23(3), 62-69.
36. Tristan, J. C., Clifford, J. M. & Gucciardi, D. F. (2010). Understanding of mental toughness in Australian soccer: Perceptions of players, parents and coaches. Journal of Sports Sciences, 28, 699-716.
37. Wiese, D. M. & Weiss, M. R. (1987). Psychological rehabilitation and physical injury: Implications for the sports medicine team. Sport Psychologist, 1(4), 318-330.
38. Yannis, T., Stiliami, C., Kostas, L., & Vagelis, B. (2001). The effect of self-talk on basketball shooting task. Perception and Motor Skills, 92, 309-315.
39. Yukelson, D. D. (1997). Principles of effective team building interventions in sport: A direct services approach at Penn State University. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 9(1), 73-96.
40. Zinsser, N., Bunker, L., & Williams, J. M. (2006). Cognitive techniques for building confidence and enhancing performance. In J. M. Williams, (Ed.), Applied sport psychology: Personal growth to peak performance (5th ed.) (pp. 349-381). London: McGraw-Hill Humanities.